DECADES of suffering by the East Timorese people had been “trivialised”, Mary MacKillop East Timor assistant director Josephite Sister Susan Connelly said last week as Dili returned to an “uneasy calm”.
Australia has sent about 2000 combat troops and other security personnel to East Timor to try to end weeks of violence.
The firing of 600 disgruntled soldiers by Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri from East Timor’s 1400-member army triggered the unrest in March.
Sr Connelly said the violence was an example of peace being unable to exist in a country if the problems of the past were not addressed.
She said the violence had been a “big setback” for the East Timorese people, but it had been brewing for some time.
In a recent newsletter, Mary MacKillop East Timor said during the 24 years of Indonesian occupation more than 180,000 East Timorese were killed as a result of the oppression.
“Although 400 Indonesian persons have been indicted for crimes against humanity committed during that time, not one has been brought to trial,” the newsletter said.
“Justice has not yet been done, and the suffering of the East Timorese has therefore been belittled.”
Meanwhile, Australian Army Major Michael Stone told The Catholic Leader on June 6 that the streets of Dili seemed to be “calmer” compared to recent weeks.
Major Stone, who graduated from Marist College, Ashgrove, in Brisbane, in 1995, said the death and horrific injuries suffered by the people of East Timor were “tragic”.
The Catholic Leader is an Australian award-winning Catholic newspaper that has been published by the Archdiocese of Brisbane since 1929. Our journalism seeks to provide a full, accurate and balanced Catholic perspective of local, national and international news while upholding the dignity of the human person.
The Catholic Leader acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the First Peoples of this country and especially acknowledge the traditional owners on whose lands we live and work throughout the Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane.