DROUGHT-affected families with children enrolled in Catholic schools will continue to receive Federal Government support with a further boost of $8.2 million announced last week.
As the nation’s largest non-government education provider with 1746 schools, Catholic schools have been allocated a further $8.2 million on top of the initial $10 million in funding announced by the Government on November 7 last year.
Queensland is set to receive $3.9 million from the drought assistance program, with $2.8 million allocated for New South Wales, Victoria another $810,000 and South Australia taking in $660,000.
National Catholic Education Commission executive director Jacinta Collins welcomed the increased relief funding and praised the Government’s support for drought-affected families.
“The Federal Government recognises the hardship faced by our drought-affected communities and the flow-on effects for schools,” Ms Collins said.
“It is so important that young people whose families are facing difficult times can continue their schooling and that schools can support students and families in these situations.
“Many of our communities have been experiencing drought for some years and schools have been doing all they can to support the wellbeing of students with counselling and other forms of support.”
Queensland Catholic Education Commission executive director Dr Lee-Anne Perry said she was grateful for the ongoing support for drought-hit families.
Dr Perry said the additional funds would relieve parents of any financial hardships they faced in this harsh climate.
“This funding will go directly to fee relief and means Catholic schools can continue to offer the highest levels of support to all families impacted by the drought,” Dr Perry said.
“Catholic schools have been supporting drought-affected families, in some cases for a number of years.
“(This) announcement means they can continue to do that.”