ST William’s Church, Grovely was at the centre of a double celebration on June 25-26.
Brisbane Archbishop John Bathersby blessed the refurbished and redeveloped church in a Mass to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the opening of the original building on the feast of St William on June 25, 1980.
The blessing was for the congregation, the church building and furnishings, the columbarium and memorial garden, and the site of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel which would comprise the next stage of the church redevelopment.
The anniversary Mass was concelebrated by parish priest Fr Frank Lourigan, associate priest Fr John Hong and Frs Tom Elich, James O’Donoghue and Des McQuaid.
The priests were assisted by Deacon Gary Stone and seminarian Paul Chandler.
A commemorative port was available to mark the occasion, as well as a comprehensive guide booklet to the new church with details of the function and symbolism of each element of the design.
The Catholic Leader is an Australian award-winning Catholic newspaper that has been published by the Archdiocese of Brisbane since 1929. Our journalism seeks to provide a full, accurate and balanced Catholic perspective of local, national and international news while upholding the dignity of the human person.
The Catholic Leader acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the First Peoples of this country and especially acknowledge the traditional owners on whose lands we live and work throughout the Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane.