LOURDES Hill College, Hawthorne began celebrating 90 years of Catholic education with an opening Mass on February 13 in the college’s Good Samaritan Centre.
Principal Narelle Mullins welcomed and congratulated the gathering, which included 20 Good Samaritan Sisters, 860 students, staff, parents and friends, for the contribution they have made to the college over many years.
In her homily, Good Samaritan Sister Catherine Slattery, who is the education officer for the sisters, challenged the college community to respond to God’s call in similar ways to the Good Samaritan who unashamedly confronted the prejudices of his time.
After the presentation of leadership badges to members of the Student Representative Council, ties to Year 12 students and a celebration cake to all students, they were challenged to act justly, love tenderly and walk humbly with their God in a practical and meaningful way.
State Member for Bulimba, Pat Purcell, invited the college to respond to last year’s tsunami by contributing to the building of a school in Sri Lanka.
Good Samaritan Sisters Foundation executive director Sr Lorraine Victorsen explained to the gathering the social justice involvement of the Good Samaritan order and presented a video with four options for students to consider as a focus for the college in 2006.
Out of the four choices students selected housing for the disadvantaged and homeless in Brisbane and each year level was asked to consider establishing closer relationships with the groups and devise activities/strategies for the provision of material support.
The Catholic Leader is an Australian award-winning Catholic newspaper that has been published by the Archdiocese of Brisbane since 1929. Our journalism seeks to provide a full, accurate and balanced Catholic perspective of local, national and international news while upholding the dignity of the human person.
The Catholic Leader acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the First Peoples of this country and especially acknowledge the traditional owners on whose lands we live and work throughout the Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane.