Skip to content
The Catholic Leader
  • Home
  • News
    • QLD
    • Australia
    • Regional
    • Education
    • World
    • Vatican
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Life
    • Family
    • Relationships
    • Faith
  • Culture
  • People
  • Subscribe
  • Jobs
  • Contribute
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • QLD
    • Australia
    • Regional
    • Education
    • World
    • Vatican
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Life
    • Family
    • Relationships
    • Faith
  • Culture
  • People
  • Subscribe
  • Jobs
  • Contribute
No Result
View All Result
The Catholic Leader
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Archbishop Sheen’s sainthood cause suspended indefinitely

byCNS
5 September 2014 - Updated on 1 April 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read
AA
Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Prayerful: United States Archbishop Fulton Sheen is pictured preaching in an undated photo. Photo: CNS

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Archbishop Fulton Sheen
Suspended cause: United States Archbishop Fulton Sheen is pictured preaching in an undated photo. His cause for canonisation has been suspended indefinitely.
Photo: CNS

THE canonisation cause of Archbishop Fulton Sheen has been suspended indefinitely, according to a statement issued on September 3 by the Peoria diocese, Illinois, where the archbishop was born.

The suspension was announced “with immense sadness”, the diocese said. “The process to verify a possible miracle attributed to Sheen had been going extremely well, and only awaited a vote of the cardinals and the approval of the Holy Father. There was every indication that a possible date for beatification in Peoria would have been scheduled for as early as the coming year.”

Archbishop Sheen, who gained fame in the 1950s with a prime-time television series called “Life Is Worth Living”, died in New York in 1979.

The diocesan statement said the New York archdiocese denied a request from Archbishop Sheen Foundation president Bishop Daniel Jenky of Peoria, to move the archbishop’s body to Peoria.

Deacon Greg Kendra, in a September 3 posting on his blog The Deacon’s Bench, said the reason for the request was for “official inspection and to take first-class relics from the remains”.

A September 4 statement from the New York archdiocese’s communications director Joseph Zwilling said Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York “did express a hesitance in exhuming the body” absent a directive from the Vatican Congregation for Saints’ Causes and family approval. The statement added that Archbishop Sheen’s “closest surviving family members” asked that the archbishop’s wishes be respected and that he had “expressly stated his desire that his remains be buried in New York”.

Mr Zwilling said Cardinal Dolan “does object to the dismemberment of the archbishop’s body”, but, were it to be exhumed, relics that might have been buried with Archbishop Sheen might be “reverently collected” and “shared generously” with Peoria diocese.

If the Peoria diocese’s decision was final to suspend Archbishop Sheen’s cause and to assign it to the Vatican congregation’s historical archives, Mr Zwilling said, “the Archdiocese of New York would welcome the opportunity to assume responsibility for the cause in an attempt to move it forward”.

“After further discussion with Rome, it was decided that the Sheen cause would now have to be relegated to the congregation’s historic archive,” the Peoria diocesan statement said.

Bonnie Engstrom, whose delivery of a still-born baby in 2010 provided the basis for a possible miracle attributable to Archbishop Sheen, expressed sadness and confusion over the delay in the sainthood cause.

Related Stories

A Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament

Archbishop Sheen close to beatification

“We are very disappointed that the cause to canonise Venerable Fulton Sheen had to be closed, especially because it had been progressing so well,” she told the Catholic Herald, a British Catholic newspaper. “We are incredibly saddened and confused by the Archdiocese of New York’s decision to not co-operate with the Sheen Foundation on the cause. We trust in the goodness of God.”

Ms Engstrom’s son James had no recorded heartbeat for 61 minutes after delivery. Then, as doctors were about to pronounce the child dead, James’ heart started beating. He has defied doctors’ predictions that he would not survive, or that he would have severe physical and developmental limitations. In March, a seven-member team of medical experts convoked by the Vatican reported there is no natural explanation for the boy’s survival.

“Countless supporters especially from the local church in Central Illinois have given their time, treasure and talent for this good work with the clear understanding that the body of Venerable Sheen would return to the diocese,” the Peoria statement said. “Bishop Jenky was personally assured on several occasions by the Archdiocese of New York that the transfer of the body would take place at the appropriate time. New York’s change of mind took place as the work on behalf of the cause had reached a significant stage.”

Archbishop Sheen, after his years in the TV limelight, retained a high profile by running the Society for the Propagation of the Faith out of New York City.

CNS

ShareTweet
Previous Post

Pope Francis is only leader respected enough to end today’s wars, Shimon Peres says

Next Post

Welcome to new friends

CNS

Related Posts

A Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament
Question Time

A Holy Hour before the Blessed Sacrament

2 December 2021
Fulton Sheen
News

Archbishop Sheen close to beatification

18 June 2014 - Updated on 1 April 2021
Next Post
Welcoming refugees

Welcome to new friends

Pope Francis

Pope says Christians' only bragging rights are being a sinner, being saved

Most Wanted

Expect the unexpected

Popular News

  • Plenary Council assembly reaches decision day about the Church role of women

    Vote over role of women disrupts Plenary Council assembly

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Plenary Council assembly reaches decision day about the Church role of women

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Plans for indigenous elements, memorials to trauma, to complement Catholic liturgy

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Mass with signs of indigenous respect launch historic Plenary Council assembly

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Called to share the message of Jesus at mission school

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
Search our job finder
No Result
View All Result

Latest News

Caritas Australia Richard Landels

‘We must act now’ – Caritas Australia chief says Ethiopian food crisis is acute

by Hannah Kennelly
6 July 2022
0

RITAS Australia chief executive officer Kirsty Robertson has called for an immediate response for ugent famine prevention...

Plenary Council assembly reaches decision day about the Church role of women

Vote over role of women disrupts Plenary Council assembly

6 July 2022
Mazur/catholicnews.org.uk.

Pope Francis condemns Independence Day parade attack and calls for end of violence

6 July 2022
Plenary Council assembly reaches decision day about the Church role of women

Plenary Council assembly reaches decision day about the Church role of women

6 July 2022
‘For the moment, no,’ – Pope Francis dismisses resignation rumours in wide-ranging interview

‘For the moment, no,’ – Pope Francis dismisses resignation rumours in wide-ranging interview

5 July 2022

Never miss a story. Sign up to the Weekly Round-Up
eNewsletter now to receive headlines directly in your email.

Sign up to eNews
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Contribute
  • Jobs
  • Subscribe

The Catholic Leader is an Australian award-winning Catholic newspaper that has been published by the Archdiocese of Brisbane since 1929. Our journalism seeks to provide a full, accurate and balanced Catholic perspective of local, national and international news while upholding the dignity of the human person.

Copyright © All Rights Reserved The Catholic Leader
Accessibility Information | Privacy Policy | Archdiocese of Brisbane

The Catholic Leader acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the First Peoples of this country and especially acknowledge the traditional owners on whose lands we live and work throughout the Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • QLD
    • Australia
    • Regional
    • Education
    • World
    • Vatican
  • Features
  • Opinion
  • Life
    • Family
    • Relationships
    • Faith
  • Culture
  • People
  • Subscribe
  • Jobs
  • Contribute

Copyright © All Rights Reserved The Catholic Leader

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyChoose another Subscription
    Continue Shopping