Monday, August 10, 2020
Username Password
Home » Catholic News Top Stories » Mass call draws 2300 so far
Free digital edition during COVID-19

Mass call draws 2300 so far

ORGANISERS have thrown open the doors for Brisbane’s Sesquicentenary Mass of Thanksgiving inviting Catholics of the archdiocese to be part of an historic celebration involving many leaders of the Australian Church.

About 3000 people are expected to attend the Mass, which will be celebrated at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre at 7.30pm on July 30.

Organisers have issued an open invitation to Catholics of the archdiocese, including those who may not be aligned with a parish or school.

“We have received 2300 registrations via the on-line system or on the phone,” project officer for the sesquicentenary Catherine Newell said.

“We encourage others to register … This is an opportunity to come together as one and give thanks for the rich one-hundred-and-fifty years of faith development in the archdiocese.”

Archbishop John Bathersby of Brisbane will preside at the July 30 Mass. Others attending will include Archbishop Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, Bishop Lucius Ugorji of Umuahia in Nigeria, Cardinal George Pell of Sydney, Australian Catholic Bishops Conference president Archbishop Philip Wilson and about 30 other Australian bishops.

Archbishop Martin will be representing the diocese in which Brisbane’s first bishop James Quinn was consecrated in 1859.

A schools’ celebration will be held at the convention centre on the morning of July 30. All schools in Brisbane archdiocese have been invited to take part, with the event highlighting the day’s theme of “Graced tradition, spirited future”.

A spokesman for the organisers Damien Brennan, who is Brisbane Catholic Education’s religious education and curriculum services director, said each July 30 event, including an afternoon parliamentary reception, was equally important.

“We have been graced by God’s presence through the ministry of Church and we have a spirited future,” Mr Brennan said.

“We will be celebrating the present and moving forward as people of hope … with regular worshipping people representing the archdiocese.”



To register attendance at the evening Mass on July 30 go to www.150th.com.au/register.php and follow the prompts.

Alternatively call or email the sesquicentenary office on (07) 3336 9103 and 150@bne.catholic.net.au

Written by: Staff writers
Catholic Church Insurance

Comments are closed.

Scroll To Top